Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse is a serious crime and has profound effects on society.

If you are someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse contact the Police on 101 (and ask for the domestic abuse unit), or contact Fife Women's Aid on 0808 802 5555.

In an emergency call 999 for urgent assistance.

Domestic abuse can be carried out by partners or ex-partners and includes any form of:

  • Physical abuse
  • Punching, choking, slapping, hair pulling, grabbing or pushing
  • not allowing to you to sleep or rest
  • Sexual abuse
  • Acts which degrade and humiliate. Are carried out against the victim's will, including rape.
  • Mental and emotional abuse, threats, verbal abuse, withholding money. Other types of coercive or controlling behaviour such as isolation from family or friends.

Even if you think you’re experiencing mild abuse, it’s important to recognise it.

You can speak to someone you trust or use one of the contacts below, who will:

  • Give you information and support.
  • Help you consider your options and support you in achieving what you choose to do.
  • Help you contact the other services you need

You can get support and information from:

  • Fife Women's Aid on 0808 802 5555 or email
  • Shakti Women’s Aid – Shakti Women’s Aid offers information, support and advocacy for black minority ethnic women, experiencing domestic abuse, forced marriage and other honour-based abuse issues, FGM (female genital mutilation). Telephone: 01383 431 243 Email:
  • National Domestic Abuse helpline (for women and men) 0800 027 1234 or email - As the National Domestic Abuse Helpline for Scotland, this service offers information and support to anyone affected by abuse and works within national standards.
  • Fife Violence Against Women Partnership - Practitioner's Guide
  • Police on 101 (specifying Domestic Abuse Unit)
  • In a emergency call 999 for urgent assistance

Start your Application

Due to service disruptions caused by the COVID-19 outbreak, we are currently unable to process new housing applications or changes to existing applications within normal timescales. If you applied for housing from March 2020 there may also be a significant delay in your application being assessed.

If you are homeless, or need somewhere to stay urgently, please call 0800 028 6231 so we can discuss your housing options.

To complete an online housing application you will need to register for a secure account on Fife Direct. If you already have an account, login in using your existing details.

If you already have an application and you need to update your circumstances, please do not submit a new application. Please log back onto your online application for housing and update the information required. If you have moved address please complete every section of the application, taking into account your new housing circumstances.

Apply for a home now