Glen Housing Association

Glen Housing Association does not provide support directly to tenants, but will ensure that new tenants with specific support needs have a package already in place when they are allocated a property.

A whole range of issues can affect a tenant’s quality of life and their ability to manage in their home and sustain their tenancy. Although we do not provide formal support services or case manage tenants with specific needs, we can provide advice and assistance, including signposting and referring tenants to agencies with the expertise to assist with a range of issues including:

  • Mental health
  • Learning difficulties
  • Drug and alcohol addiction
  • Disabilities
  • Leaving care
  • Domestic violence
  • Poverty/fuel poverty
  • Extreme youth or immaturity
  • Young parents
  • Older people with support needs
  • Families with support needs
  • No established local networks

Our Tenancy Sustainment Policy sets out the following 3 key objectives.


Taking steps prior to and from the commencement of a tenancy which will identify issues and assist in sustainment.

Tenancy Support

Being proactive in identifying prospective and existing tenant vulnerability issues and ensuring the appropriate support is put in place to sustain a tenancy.

Partnership Working

Developing networks and partnership working with other agencies to address vulnerabilities and assist in sustaining tenancies.

Any existing tenant who would benefit from this service should contact the office on

01592 621188 or email

Service Update

Winter/Spring 2022 – Do you want to update your current application for housing? We are currently working on a new UPDATE FORM and we hope to have this ready for you soon. However, if you want to update or withdraw your application for housing you can:

Depending on what the update is, we may have to contact you for further information to enable the update to be completed.

If you have moved address please complete a new application form.