Not Enough Bedrooms

Overcrowding means that you have more people living within your home than we would normally expect based on the number of bedrooms that you have. The size of property you need depends on your household and we will consider the following circumstances:

  • Are there 3 or more sharing a bedroom?
  • Is a parent sharing with a child?
  • Is there a person over 8 years sharing with the opposite sex?
  • Is there a person over 13 year old sharing with the same sex?
  • Are there any children sharing with step siblings?

This information is used to calculate how many overcrowding points you are entitled to.

Sometimes we need to obtain the sizes of rooms to help us calculate how many people are allowed to be in each room.

Each Fife Housing Register partner will use their own allocation policy to decide acceptable household sizes when allocating a new tenancy.

If you are already a Council or Housing Association tenant in Fife and you are thinking about moving because you need more bedrooms, you can register with Homeswap to find out if anyone in your area is looking to swap their larger home for a smaller one.

Renting in the Private Sector could be a housing option that suits your needs. Fife Private Rental Solutions (FPRS) can provide advice and assistance to anyone interested in the private rented sector. The team can offer guidance on what renting in the private rented sector entails; how to search for an appropriate property; benefit entitlements; assistance with a Deposit Guarantee and much more. For more information, please contact the FPRS team on 01592 201849, email or visit their website

Service Update

November 2023 - Customer Survey

We want to hear from you! Fife Housing Register are running a customer survey from November 2023 to January 2024. We want to hear from applicants who have either completed their housing journey with us or are currently on our waiting list. Your answers could help us improve our service in the future. Please see the below link to the survey;


June 2023 - The Fife Housing Register Team have moved base from New City House, Dunfermline to Brunton House, Cowdenbeath. Any Post being sent to the FHR Team should be sent to the following;

Fife Housing Register Team, Cowdenbeath Customer Service Centre, Brunton House, High Street, Cowdenbeath, KY4 9QU.

Alternatively you can;-