Welfare and Benefits

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a new benefit administered by Department for Work and Pensions and aims to make the welfare system simpler by replacing six benefits and tax credits with a single monthly payment.

If you receive Universal Credit then your award is likely to include an amount for housing costs. You will be expected to use this amount to pay your rent in full. If the amount you are awarded does not cover your full rent charge, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment(DHP) from Fife Council to help with the shortfall.

You can only apply for UC online. To apply for UC or to find out if you are eligible for this new benefit, visit the GOV.UK website.

Housing Benefit

If you are responsible for paying rent you may still be entitled to housing benefit.Your eligibility is assessed by Fife Council and is calculated by looking at any income you receive, any savings you have and the income and circumstances of any people who live with you.

If you require further information about Housing Benefit or if you wish to make an online application, visit Fife Council website.

If you already receive Housing Benefit and your entitlement is reduced due to the bedroom tax then you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from Fife Council to help with the shortfall - you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment on line.

Money Advice

Making ends meet these days can be difficult and it is all too easy to get into debt. However, help is at hand from a number of services which can provide expert advice on budgeting and making sure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to. These include Citizens Advice & Rights Fife and the Money Advice Service.


Foodbanks are non-profit organisations which receive publicly donated food which is sorted by volunteers and distributed as food parcels. There are a number of foodbanks operating in Fife and you can be referred by your Housing Officer, a social worker, doctor or health worker.

Scottish Welfare Fund

Community Care Grants and Crisis Grants are available through the Scottish Welfare Fund to help with the cost of setting up a home or staying in your home.

Start your Application

Due to service disruptions caused by the COVID-19 outbreak, we are currently unable to process new housing applications or changes to existing applications within normal timescales. If you applied for housing from March 2020 there may also be a significant delay in your application being assessed.

If you are homeless, or need somewhere to stay urgently, please call 0800 028 6231 so we can discuss your housing options.

To complete an online housing application you will need to register for a secure account on Fife Direct. If you already have an account, login in using your existing details.

If you already have an application and you need to update your circumstances, please do not submit a new application. Please log back onto your online application for housing and update the information required. If you have moved address please complete every section of the application, taking into account your new housing circumstances.

Apply for a home now