Prevention Services aim to prevent people becoming homeless by providing advice, assistance and support to help you find a realistic solution to your housing problem.
If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, please talk to Fife Council who can arrange an interview to fully discuss your situation and explore the housing options available to you.
You can do this by:
- Calling Housing Information, Advice & Prevention (lines open 8am-6pm) on 03451 55 00 33
- Visiting your nearest Local Office
Once you contact the Council, you will be given an interview appointment to have your situation assessed by skilled and experienced staff. If you have no accommodation at all, staff will do their best to see you on the same day you make contact. Otherwise, staff will see you as soon as they can, certainly within 5 working days.
For help or advice outside of office hours or on weekends, please call the Homelessness Emergency Number - 0800 028 6231.
What we will do
The help we can give you will depend on your circumstances.
- If you are threatened with homelessness we will work with you try to prevent you having to leave your home.
- If you have nowhere to stay while we look at your circumstances, we can arrange temporary accommodation. Temporary accommodation isn’t free but you could get housing benefit to help if you are on a low income.
- If you have to leave your home or are already homeless we will help to find a new home. You may be entitled to one permanent offer of housing from Fife Council or a local housing association.
Fife Council and the other Fife Housing Register Partners work with other agencies who may also be able to provide advice and assistance to you, depending on your circumstances.
Fife Private Rental Solutions – Fife’s private rented sector advice and assistance hub
Fife Private Rental Solutions (FPRS) can provide advice and assistance to anyone interested in the private rented sector, they can also provide advice and assistance to existing private let tenants, working with you and your landlord to resolve any rent or other tenancy related issues. They can offer guidance on what renting in the private rented sector entails; how to search for an appropriate property; benefit entitlements; assistance with a Deposit Guarantee and much more. For more information, contact the FPRS team on 01592 201849, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website www.trustinfife.org.uk
Frontline Fife – Independent housing advice and lay representation in Court for rent arrears
Citizens Advice & Rights Fife – Independent housing and benefits advice
Fife Women’s Aid – Support for those experiencing domestic abuse
Fife Migrants Forum – Welfare rights, unemployment and housing advice
In this section
SPRING/SUMMER 2021 – Do you want to update your current application for housing? We are currently working on a new UPDATE FORM and we hope to have this ready for you soon. However, if you want to update or withdraw your application for housing you can:
- Call 03451 55 00 33 and give details of the update
- Or email FHR.Team@Fife.gov.uk
Depending on what the update is, we may have to contact you for further information to enable the update to be completed.
If you have moved address please complete a new application form.