Prevention Services aim to prevent people becoming homeless by providing advice, assistance and support to help you find a realistic solution to your housing problem.
If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, please talk to Fife Council who can arrange an interview to fully discuss your situation and explore the housing options available to you.
You can do this by:
- Calling Housing Information, Advice & Prevention (lines open 8am-6pm) on 03451 55 00 33
- Visiting your nearest Local Office
Once you contact the Council, you will be given an interview appointment to have your situation assessed by skilled and experienced staff. If you have no accommodation at all, staff will do their best to see you on the same day you make contact. Otherwise, staff will see you as soon as they can, certainly within 5 working days.
For help or advice outside of office hours or on weekends, please call the Homelessness Emergency Number - 0800 028 6231.
What we will do
The help we can give you will depend on your circumstances.
- If you are threatened with homelessness we will work with you try to prevent you having to leave your home.
- If you have nowhere to stay while we look at your circumstances, we can arrange temporary accommodation. Temporary accommodation isn’t free but you could get housing benefit to help if you are on a low income.
- If you have to leave your home or are already homeless we will help to find a new home. You may be entitled to one permanent offer of housing from Fife Council or a local housing association.
Fife Council and the other Fife Housing Register Partners work with other agencies who may also be able to provide advice and assistance to you, depending on your circumstances.
Frontline Fife – Independent housing advice and lay representation in Court for rent arrears
Fife KeyFund (Trust in Fife) – Deposit guarantee scheme in the private rented sector
Citizens Advice & Rights Fife – Independent housing and benefits advice
Fife Women’s Aid – Support for those experiencing domestic abuse
Fife Migrants Forum – Welfare rights, unemployment and housing advice
In this section
Start your Application
To complete an online housing application you will need to register for a secure account on Fife Direct. If you already have an account, login in using your existing details.
If you already have an application and you need to update your circumstances, call us on 03451 55 00 33. Please do not submit a new application.Apply for a home now