Temporary Accommodation

If you have nowhere to stay while your situation is assessed or if you cannot be interviewed right away, you can be offered temporary accommodation.

Temporary accommodation will be allocated to you by Fife Council, who try to match the accommodation to your needs where possible. This is, however, an emergency provision which means you could be placed anywhere in Fife. The accommodation will be in:

  • Scatter flats
  • A shared flat
  • A supported hostel
  • A hostel

The accommodation may be run by:

  • The council
  • A private landlord
  • A housing association
  • A voluntary organisation

Regardless of where you will be accommodated, support will either be in place or a referral to a support agency can be made for you.

Temporary accommodation is not free but you may be eligible for help from Housing Benefit or Housing Costs within Universal Credit.


To make an enquiry about temporary accommodation, call Fife Council on 0800 028 6231.

Frontline Fife can also provide further information if you think you may need temporary accommodation.

Service Update

Winter/Spring 2022 – Do you want to update your current application for housing? We are currently working on a new UPDATE FORM and we hope to have this ready for you soon. However, if you want to update or withdraw your application for housing you can:

Depending on what the update is, we may have to contact you for further information to enable the update to be completed.

If you have moved address please complete a new application form.