Mutual Exchange

If you are a tenant of a registered social landlord and would like to move home, sometimes looking for a swap is an option worth considering.

A swap can help you move quickly, and gives you control in deciding where you stay.

Fife Council tenants can swap with each other, tenants of another Local Authority, or tenants of a Housing Association. All tenants involved must have a Scottish Secure Tenancy Agreement.

Swaps are not limited to 2 households, and Mutual Exchange 'chains' can be created, with 3+ properties involved in the swap.

When you find someone to swap with you must request the Mutual Exchange in writing. A paper application form is available at your local office/Customer Contact Centre or the request can be made online. If you are Housing Association tenant you will need contact your own landlord to complete an application form with them.

For an exchange to go ahead, both existing social rented tenancies must have been maintained properly.

This means that you and the other tenant must:

  • have met all tenancy conditions;
  • looked after your property;
  • respected the rights of other tenants; and
  • paid the rent and all other charges on time.

All Mutual Exchange requests will be considered however some rules do apply.

Normally we will refuse Mutual Exchange applications where:

  • A notice for eviction has been served on you or the person you are swapping with or an eviction order is in place
  • There are rent arrears or outstanding recharges
  • The house has been designed or significantly adapted for someone with specific needs and no one on the application needs it
  • The exchange would result in significant under-occupation
  • The exchange would result in overcrowding
  • You are not a secure tenant
  • You or the person you are swapping with has a Short Scottish Secure Tenancy (SSST)

How can I find someone to exchange with?

Home Swap is our new online Mutual Exchange match up service available on Fife Direct and open to all tenants of the Fife Housing Register Partners.

Start your Application

Due to service disruptions caused by the COVID-19 outbreak, we are currently unable to process new housing applications or changes to existing applications within normal timescales. If you applied for housing from March 2020 there may also be a significant delay in your application being assessed.

If you are homeless, or need somewhere to stay urgently, please call 0800 028 6231 so we can discuss your housing options.

To complete an online housing application you will need to register for a secure account on Fife Direct. If you already have an account, login in using your existing details.

If you already have an application and you need to update your circumstances, please do not submit a new application. Please log back onto your online application for housing and update the information required. If you have moved address please complete every section of the application, taking into account your new housing circumstances.

Apply for a home now