Medical Assessments and Adaptations
Occupational Therapy in conjunction with Housing Services, works with people with disabilities to enable them to be as independent as possible. We work with all age groups.
To find out if the Occupational Therapy team can help, an assessment of your needs will be carried out.
They will visit you at home to look at any difficulties you have and work with you to assess what you need. When they do the assessment they will listen to what you and your carers tell them. It is not about them telling you what you need.
Contact Social Work on 03451 55 15 03 to arrange an assessment.
What can Occupational Therapy do?
They can provide advice, equipment and adaptations. This will help you live more independently or make it easier for others to care for you.
They may be able to:
- Show you, or anyone who cares for you, different and safer ways of doing things.
- Refer you for other services.
- Help you to regain confidence at home after time spent in hospital.
- Provide a range of equipment to help with tasks such as getting up from the toilet or out of a bath. They may provide a specialised bath lift so parents can bath a child in a supported position.
- Arrange for minor adaptations, such as grabrails or extra banisters at a staircase. They can also make recommendations for more major structural adaptations to your home. For example, a ramp or lift so that you can get around your home in a wheelchair.
- Give advice about re-housing if your current home is not suitable to adapt.
How much does it cost?
The information and advice is free. Any equipment they supply is on long-term loan and free of charge. Minor adaptations are also free. You may be expected to pay something towards the cost of major adaptations if your home is privately owned or rented.
We can offer help with adapting your home to make it more suitable for someone who has been affected by:
- Ill health
- Traumatic injury
How to apply for Adaptations
- Homeowners - Social Work Contact Centre - 03451 55 15 03
- Council house tenants - Social Work Contact Centre - 03451 55 1503
- Housing Association tenants - Contact your own Housing Association
For more information or to request an assessment, please get in touch with the Social Work Contact Centre on 03451 55 15 03 or the Housing Adaptations Team at Fife Council on 01592 583396.
The team work to Fife Council Social Work Eligibility Criteria.
In this section
Start your Application
Due to service disruptions caused by the COVID-19 outbreak, we are currently unable to process new housing applications or changes to existing applications within normal timescales. If you applied for housing from March 2020 there may also be a significant delay in your application being assessed.
If you are homeless, or need somewhere to stay urgently, please call 0800 028 6231 so we can discuss your housing options.
To complete an online housing application you will need to register for a secure account on Fife Direct. If you already have an account, login in using your existing details.
If you already have an application and you need to update your circumstances, please do not submit a new application. Please log back onto your online application for housing and update the information required. If you have moved address please complete every section of the application, taking into account your new housing circumstances.Apply for a home now