Medical Assessments and Adaptations

Occupational Therapy in conjunction with Housing Services, works with people with disabilities to enable them to be as independent as possible. We work with all age groups.


To find out if the Occupational Therapy team can help, an assessment of your needs will be carried out.

They will visit you at home to look at any difficulties you have and work with you to assess what you need. When they do the assessment they will listen to what you and your carers tell them. It is not about them telling you what you need.

Contact Social Work on 03451 55 15 03 to arrange an assessment.

What can Occupational Therapy do?

They can provide advice, equipment and adaptations. This will help you live more independently or make it easier for others to care for you.

They may be able to:

  • Show you, or anyone who cares for you, different and safer ways of doing things.
  • Refer you for other services.
  • Help you to regain confidence at home after time spent in hospital.
  • Provide a range of equipment to help with tasks such as getting up from the toilet or out of a bath. They may provide a specialised bath lift so parents can bath a child in a supported position.
  • Arrange for minor adaptations, such as grabrails or extra banisters at a staircase. They can also make recommendations for more major structural adaptations to your home. For example, a ramp or lift so that you can get around your home in a wheelchair.
  • Give advice about re-housing if your current home is not suitable to adapt.

How much does it cost?

The information and advice is free. Any equipment they supply is on long-term loan and free of charge. Minor adaptations are also free. You may be expected to pay something towards the cost of major adaptations if your home is privately owned or rented.

We can offer help with adapting your home to make it more suitable for someone who has been affected by:

  • Age
  • Impairment
  • Ill health
  • Traumatic injury

How to apply for Adaptations

  • Homeowners - Social Work Contact Centre - 03451 55 15 03
  • Council house tenants - Social Work Contact Centre - 03451 55 1503
  • Housing Association tenants - Contact your own Housing Association

For more information or to request an assessment, please get in touch with the Social Work Contact Centre on 03451 55 15 03 or the Housing Adaptations Team at Fife Council on 01592 583396.

The team work to Fife Council Social Work Eligibility Criteria.

Do you have a disability?

If you have a disability, you can receive housing advice and support from the Disabled Persons Housing Advice Service (DPHS).

DPHS can assist you to find the right housing solution to meet your needs. DPHS can also tell you about adapting your current property whether you rent, own or have a private let.

DPHS can explore all your options with you. They can provide you with a Housing Options Report so that you have an action plan to work with.

Landlords also use DPHS to find tenants for their adapted or accessible properties.

You can register with DPHS by contacting them.

Service Update

Winter/Spring 2022 – Do you want to update your current application for housing? We are currently working on a new UPDATE FORM and we hope to have this ready for you soon. However, if you want to update or withdraw your application for housing you can:

Depending on what the update is, we may have to contact you for further information to enable the update to be completed.

If you have moved address please complete a new application form.